Pages

Saturday 10 January 2009

A Green perspective

In my opinion, whether or not climate change is happening is irrelevant. The Earth has survived much larger changes than the subtle shift of a few degrees. The point, is that the Human Race is not living in balance with its resources. Western civilisation is consuming the planet around it with a greed which is shocking. The emerging economies - China, India etc. are infected with a similar burgeoning avarice.

The greed which affects us is the cause of all our ills. If the oil is running out it is because we insist on driving cars, and because the car and oil companies will not let us use anything else. If the world economy is collapsing it is because a number of intensly greedy people kept acquiring more money than they could ever use in one hundred lifetimes.

So I can recycle all I can, I can put as much insulation in my house as I can afford (I would put more in... money allowing), I can cycle to work (which I don't do nearly enough). In my work in the construction industry I have a chance to influence other peoples choices regarding constuction materials and opportunities to improve their homes. But does this all really make a difference? is this blog my last attempt to convince myself that I can make a difference?

My answer is this... I don't think it really makes a difference that I will not be able to change the minds of thousands of people and companies who's greed and desire for 'Growth' will consume them. What matters to me is that I leave as light a footprint on this planet as I can. I should not consume more resources than I need. When I last checked my carbon footprint WWF Footprint Calculator, it was a vast 2.09 planets. This equates to an ecological footprint of 3.77 hectares, and a carbon footprint of 7.84 tonnes per annum. However, I have done this in the past and achieved a lower value of 1.6 planets. So carbon calculators are a blunt instrument to be frank. The only way to satisfy my conscience is to carefully inspect every area of my life and ask myself "can i do more?" Its a case of 'Physician heal thyself' If I can do that then maybe others will do the same.

This blog then is a starting point, a place for me to collect my thoughts, find new ways and new ideas. I need a green perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment